Friday, August 31, 2012

10 Years Later . . .

I am not sure when, but sometime in this past month marked the 10 year anniversary of when I started blogging. I do not know for sure, but when I first started writing a blog it was in 2002 at the ujournal.org domain. In 2004 that site went down, and I switched to blogger. It has been hard to believe that I have been posting windows and snippets of my life onto the internet for the past 10 years. Clearly my life looks a little bit different than it did 10 years ago when I was a senior in college, and the way that I blog has also changed. First of all, I blog a lot less now than I use to. In part, this is because I am a lot busier. What I blog about has also changed some as well. I started a blog for three reasons.

The first reason was to share what is going on in my life with friends and family. I still do this some, but facebook takes care of a little bit of this. It is easier to post a status update than to write a more detailed blog post.

 The second reason for having a blog was to continue writing about political/social issues. In college, I was an opinion page columnist for all four years, and I enjoyed doing that. I started the blog and gave it the same title as my column, so that I could continue to write about those things post-college. Unfortunately,These kind of writings have all but stopped. This is mostly because of my position in the church. I need to be very mindful about what I make public, because I do not want to alienate congregants because we disagree on an issue. The possibility to create divisiveness is to high, so I keep my opinion to myself. This kind of disappoint me, because with the political conventions going on now I would like to write about those. Also, I have had a blog post completely written out in my head for over a year on the subject of homosexuality. When I see people on facebook post purposely inflammatory comments or links on this issue, I have been extremely attempted to write in response. I have even started a dozen or so times, but I always stop.

 The third reason for having a blog was to share things that I find interesting. I do not post memes or links very much anymore, because again facebook is still good for that. I use to write about video games a lot, so much that I even created my own video game blog. It still exist here, but once I started seminary that fell to the wayside. As Abigail and I have gotten more into board games, I have started writing more about those. Since it is always more fun to write if I enjoy it, this trend will probably continue.

I am kind of impressed that I have stuck with this whole blogging thing for so long.  At this point, I really have no clue who reads this (other than Abigail), so if you have stuck with me for a few years.  What do you think?  What should I write about for the next ten years?

1 Comments:

Blogger ooogene said...

I read it. I'd like you to write that article on homosexuality. As a pastor, I don't think it would be outside your scope at all, as matter of fact I think it would be great to write and organize your thoughts. I'm sure you've been asked by your teens or had that conversation with them. You don't have to choose sides politically, but write it from a Biblical perspective.

2:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home