Sunday, January 03, 2010

Top 5 Movies of 2009

I only saw between 10 or 15 movies that came out this year, so that is why this list is a top five and not top 10. over the next several months I am sure I will watch several other movies from 2009, but a best of the year list six months into the next year is not to exciting. Compared to the past several years though, Abigail and I did watch more movies in a theater than we have for a couple of years. So here are my top five movies from this year:

5. Avatar
Right now I still like Avatar, but the more I have thought about it the more I am cooled down on it. The movie is a visual treat, but the simplistic plot does not hold up to well. The movie essentially as a linear plot with no wrinkles. The "noble savages" are perfect, while the "white men" are evil, and a small number of the bad people go native. It has been done before with more subtly, but it has never looked so pretty. I don't think this is a movie I am going to want to go back to over and over again, but I enjoyed watching it.

4. Boondock Saints 2: All Saints Day
Boondock Saints is one of my favorite movies. This movie is definitely one of for the fans, as it is very referential to the first movie. The movie attempts nothing new. It just tries to do things bigger and better than the first one. When the first one featured wise cracking Irish guys and great gun fights, then more of the same is a good deal.

3. Up
This is a great buddy movie. I have not watched a Pixar movie since The Incredibles, so I am glad that I watched this one. The loss that the old man feels is genuine, but the joy he finds in an unlikely friend is truly touching.

2.Star Trek
I have never been the biggest Star Trek fan. The Next Generation was good at the time, but going back it doesn't hold up to well (the bridge looks more like a living room than a military vessel). However, this movie is a stroke of brilliance. It both revitalizes the concept AND honors everything that came before it. Plus they made Star Trek better by using the plot of Star Wars:


1.Zombieland
I wrote a review of this movie back when I watched it. It may be the perfect Zombie movie. It is 100% fun to watch and without a doubt the best movie I watched this year.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home