Monday, January 03, 2011

Top Ten 2010 Movies (Kind of)

I have gotten to a point in my life, where I am very selective in movie watching. I really just don't want to invest 90 to 120+ in something that I have a feeling that I will not really care for. If a movie looks bad, cliche, or uninteresting I really want nothing to do with it. I would much rather spend that time doing a whole lot of other things. I have been heading this way for a while. The addition of Connor this year, plummeted my movie watching to really low. I watched a grand total of eight movies released this year. Now there actually are movies that I want to see, but I have not yet had the chance to see them yet. I went to a movie theater once the entire year. So this list will have 10 movies, but it will be divided up into two segments. The four best movies I saw this year, and the six movies from 2010 that I want to see still.
Four Best Movies I saw in 2010:

4. The Losers
With the A Team, Expendables, and this one there were a lot of mercenary action movies this year. While the Expendables had a better cast and more over the top action sequences (barely), I think I preferred this one a bit more. If anything because both movies had a similar villain, but the bad guy in the Losers was a bit more hateable in his smugness and conceit.

3. The Crazies
I suppose technically this movie is about distrust of a government that cares more about it's secrets than it's own people. That is there I suppose but the movie is really a good survival horror tale. It feels a bit like a zombie movie only sick crazy people replace the undead.

2. Book of Eli
In 2009, while playing Fallout 3 I had the thought what would it be like if someone had a Bible and followed God in a post-apocalyptic future. This movie is the answer. The action sequences were fantastic and I greatly enjoyed watching this one.

1. Toy Story 3
It is rather rare for a movie that is third in the series to actually be better than the first two, but Toy Story 3 does just that. It was an absolutely excellent story and well executed movie. Despite being animated, I am fairly confident this is not a movie for kids. The target audience are people who were kids when the first Toy Story came out in 1997.


And now the top six movies that I still want to see from 2010.

6. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hollows Part 1
I have seen all of the other Harry Potter movies, so why not this one as well?

5. Iron Man 2
Same deal, I liked the first Iron Man so I feel like watching the sequel is a good idea.

4. Red
I do not know a lot about this movie, except for the trailer shows Bruce Willis step out of a movie car firing a gun, and another guy shooting a RPG out of the air. That kind of over the top action movie magic, is usually a winner for me.

3. Scott Pilgrim vs. The World
Given the people I know who generally read this blog, they are going to think this pick is a dumb movie. However, I know that it is heavily inspired by comic books and video games. Plus, Scott Pilgrim lives in a world where disagreements are settled by over the top fights. Sounds like a movie that is made for me.

2. The A-Team
My brother said this is one of the most fun movies he watched this year. I like fun movies more than critically acclaimed movies so this will probably be a good use of my time.

1. Inception
I know this one is about dreams and has a surprise ending. Getting a lot of comparisons to the original Matrix is enough to make me want to see it. Several of the youth like this movie, and I have successfully avoided spoilers (unlike Shutter Island, which would be on this list if I did not already know the big twist). I really need to see this one soon, just so it does not accidentally get spoiled.

1 Comments:

Blogger Corey said...

Scott Pilgrim was one of the best movies I've seen in a while. Definitely worth the time.

9:40 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home