Friday, May 23, 2008

Top 25 Games of All Time (Intro and 25-18)

Seminary is done for the school year, and this is a slow youth group time. This means that I have had some extra time on my hands, and I decided to waste spend it by doing something that I had wanted to do for a while when I had extra time. Specifically that is rate every single game that I have played enough to feel like I could rate. I am sure there are probably a few holes, and I only went as far back as the Super Nintendo (though some of the PC games go further back than that). The entire list can be found here. It turns out I have played a lot of games in the past 14 or so years.

This ranked list also lets me find out what I consider my favorite games ever, so that is what my next few entries will be about as I count down my top 25 games of all time.

25. Quake III: Arena and Unreal Tournament (Tie) (PC)
It is appropriate that these two are tied because I played them in tandem. In my second semester of my Sophomore year of college, Abigail went to England for a semester and I found myself with some extra time. My room mate at the time, Stephen, introduced me to Quake III and Unreal Tournament and I fragged away my blues. I probably played Quake III more because of mods, but I think I prefer Unreal Tournament

24. Call of Duty 2 (Xbox 360)
Given how many WWII games there are (and given that I have probably played the majority of them) it is surprising that this is the only one to make the top of my list. COD2 is probably the best of the WWII shooters, because it provided an epic, cinematic game without feeling like it was narrowly restricted. Plus, the multiplayer is awesome,and well suited to sniper duels.

23. Shadow Hearts Covenant (PS2)
I think that when it comes to turn based RPGs, I think I like the thought of them more than I like actually playing them. However, I totally got into this game. The story is a little on the silly side, and the characters are over the top, but the combat system which relied on strategy and reflexive skill was oh so awesome.

22. New Super Mario Bros. (DS)
As we will get to later, Mario 3 is my favorite Mario game, and this DS game is more or less the direct sequel to that one, and that makes it fun enough to be get in the top 25.

21. Dynasty Tactics 2 (PS2)
This is really the kind of game that I think only I find fun. It is essentially a board game with elements that require a video game to do. As the player you move different solider piece around, and attack the enemy soldier pieces. Different soldiers have different commanders who have different special abilities. The key to this game is to set up ridiculous combos where one attacks forces the opponent into another one of your soldiers to start a huge combo.

20. Age of Empires: Age of Kings (DS)
This is a turn based strategy game. Technically speaking both Advance Wars are better games, but this is the game I return to the DS more than any other. Sometimes I just want to sit down and take over the world one turn at a time

19. Halo (Xbox)
I think by this point I have played through Halo's single player almost five times (once on my own in college, once in co-op in college, once on the PC, once in Corydon, and once on the 360). It is fun. However, the real reason why it is on this list is because it is the single best shooter I have ever played with four player split screen.

18. Gladius (PS2)
This is the first game I ever obsessed over. I beat the game in 50+ hours . . .in less than two weeks. This is a turn based strategy game where the player controls a school of Gladiators. The combat system required reflexive action which really made it addictive.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home