Tuesday, January 06, 2009

Top Ten Games I am looking forward to in 2009

Reflecting back over 2008 is done, and I am ready to look forward to 2009. Because the budget is law AND because video games are so gosh darn expensive I can't really make spontaneous purchases. This means that I have a really good idea of what games I am looking to get. So in the typical dramatic descending order here are the top ten games I am looking forward to in 2009.

10. Tekken 6
One of the neatest (and honestly most unexpected) gifts I got for Christmas was a controller specifically made for fighting games, so I now have an excuse to get more fighting games :) I know that technically the biggest fighting game release is Street Fighter IV, but I am passing on that one and instead waiting until August or so for Tekken 6. I played a Tekken Tag a ton on the PS2 and I look forward to beating people up online with a giant panda bear.

9. Blood Bowl
I fully intend on getting Blood Bowl the day it comes out and it will technically be for the first Sports game I have ever bought new. Blood Bowl is actually a strategy miniature board game based around the silly concept of orcs, trolls, and elves playing football. This game will have two modes an arcadey realtime football game and the turn based, full rules strategy board game. I'm getting it for the turn based version.

8. Ghostbusters
This game was actually on a similar list I made for 2008, but it got delayed a year. The Ghostbusters game is meant to be the official sequel to Ghostbusters 2. I plan on getting it, but since the game is single player only I might wait a bit.

7. Operation Flashpoint 2
This shooter promises to be hyper realistic. I have enjoyed other shooters that skew realistic such as GRAW 2 and Brothers in Arms, plus a lot of the people I play online with are planning on getting this game .

6. Dragon Age Origins
This is an action RPG that promises to have a compelling, player driven story. I know if you don't play video games that does not mean much to you, but that sentence gets me plenty excited.

5.Wolfenstein/Alien Colonial Marines
There is a good chance that I will get one of these two games but not both. In college Return to Castle Wolfenstein ignited my love of online play, but the single player was average at best. This game promises to have class based multiplayer, but it will also introduce supernatural powers into multiplayer which makes me a little hesitant. Alien Colonial Marines has an awesome concept(shoot the aliens from the Alien movies) and it is being done by the same people who make the excellent brothers in arms game. However, the hesitation is that Gearbox has yet to truly nail online play. I will probably follow both of these games closely, read all the previews, and decide which one to get much closer to the time they come out. . . which is some nebulous time this year.

4. Lord of the Rings Conquest
Several months ago I listed my top twenty five video games of all time, and #1 was Star Wars Battlefront 2. This game is made by the same people and has the same concept, only Jedi and stormtroopers have been replaced with elves and orcs. I am sold! Plus this game comes out in a week, so it will be the first game I get in 2009.

3. Resident Evil 5
Resident Evil 4 was one of the better games of the PS2/Xbox/Gamecube era. I liked it but I did not love it because I constantly fought with the control scheme. This sequel promises to have controls more akin to games like Gears of War, plus the entire game is built to be played in co-op, which is also a big plus.


2. Alpha Protocol

My favorite game of 2007 and one of the best games ever is Mass Effect. Alpha Protocol is often described as Mass Effect meets James Bond. That description alone is enough to elicit a pre-order from me!

1. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2
It would appear that I have fallen into the corporate trap and I am destined to get a new Call of Duty each year, of course I am not complaining much. After the minor misstep of Call of Duty 3, COD has been getting better each year. This COD is being developed by Infinity Ward is often considered "the good" COD developer, and I bet they will just build upon the improvements that this years Call of Duty game made over last years.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home