Wednesday, January 06, 2010

Top Ten Memories of 2009

It is a week late ( I think I have a good excuse!), but here are my top ten memories from the year. I know that this is Abigail's favorite thing I post, and after something memorable has happened she has asked me "will this make the top ten list?"

2009 is without a doubt my single most memorable year ever. I experienced more things this year, and had major stuff happen this year than any other. I think I could have easily expanded this into a top 20 list, and still not list everything that in other years would make the list. As always, the list is descending order for dramatic effect.

10. Jr. High Retreat
Photobucket
Over Halloween, was my first major event with the youth group at Avon UMC. We took the Jr. High to Camp Mone'to for a retreat. We used Harry Potter as the theme, and everything went very well and was well received. During the day, the youth loved to run around in the woods, even if we did get dangerously close for being lost (technically we were lost for about 2 minutes, but then I found the trail head I was looking for). Along with everything going really well, I was also happy that they all agreed to play an eight player game of A Touch of Evil, which is one of my favorites.

9. Aunt's Funeral

This would be the only sad memory on the list, but it is a memory worth remembering so it is here. After several months of struggling with numerous health issues, my aunt (mom's sister) passed away. I am fortunate that at 28, this is only the fourth funeral that I have attended.

8. Commissioning

Photobucket
As mentioned, this was a big year for me. One of the events that made it a big deal is this one. At the first Annual Conference of the Indiana Conference, I was commissioned as a provisional deacon. This is what I went to seminary for, and it was a pretty cool day.

7. Moving
I have moved a lot in my life, and this was my third time to do it as an "adult". This was the smallest move we have made, and I also think it was the easiest. It was probably easier because we had so much help. Friends from Epworth helped load the truck and unload the truck. Plus we were blown away by how many people from Avon came to help us unload everything.

6. Games in the Park
Photobucket
So with how eventful this year was, Abigail and I did not take a proper vacation over the summer. We did try doing some fun things here and there. One of those fun things is that one afternoon we went to the board game store, picked out a random game that we did not know anything about, and then spent the entire afternoon sitting at picnic table in the park playing it (and other games). This was a great moment, that we both loved spending together.

5. Gen-Con
Photobucket
In 2008, I just sort of dabbled with Gen Con, and over emphasized playing in ticketed events. This year I got the full Gen Con experience, and I got a little to sucked into the show room floor (there were just to many new bright and shiny things to try). This really is the best three days in gaming, and I think that this year when I go back I am going to make a point at getting in as much gaming as possible in the board game room and the publisher rooms.

4. Graduation Party
Photobucket
The actual graduation itself, was not overly memorable. Graduation ceremonies, even one's own are a little boring. This one was even worse because the commencement speaker was a black racist who was tragically stuck in 1968. However, the party after the graduation was awesome. It was a celebration that included my favorite things. There were video games being played, board games, family, friends, and food from Qdoba. It was pretty much awesome.

3. Epworth Mission Trip
Photobucket
I am really glad that for all intents and purposes, the last thing I did with the youth group at Epworth was this mission trip. It was a roller coaster getting there. We were originally scheduled to go to Mexico, but H1N1 got to the height of the panic the day the plane ticket money was due. We had to cancel and in the course of six hours, an alternate plan to go to Kentucky was made. It turned out to be a really good trip. Even though I did not interact with the youth at all during the day, the evenings were fun together. Plus, I got to go white water rafting on real rapids and that was a good time.

2. Niagara Falls
Photobucket
On the vacation request form, I listed my reason for this trip in September as "last fling as a childless couple", and that is exactly what it was. This trip was absolutly perfect, and I loved the time that Abigail and I got to spend together on it. Plus, the view from our room was AMAZING
Photobucket

1. Birth of Connor
Photobucket
Well of course, this had to be #1. The whole event from Abigail's water breaking, to the hours by her side while she was in labor, to watching the doctor pull Connor out of her is so surreal. The whole event is etched into my memory, but the enormity of it all leaves me almost saying "Did that really just happen?" Of course the fact that Connor is here verifies that it did. I am looking forward to making the list of 2010, and including all of the cute things that he does in this new year. He's already off to a great start!

Photobucket

Photobucket

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home