Tuesday, January 04, 2011

Top Five Video Games of 2010

So one of the big effects that Connor has had on my life is that he has greatly decreased my playing of video games. Evenings after caring for him and putting him to bed, I often would like to spend time with Abigail instead of play video games by myself. Before Connor, I got most of my game playing hours in on my day off, but now I have him all day so that takes a lot of the time.

That being said, I did spend a healthy amount of time playing video games this year. Most of the games I played this year were actually from 2009 such as Borderlands, Batman: Arkham Asylum, and Wolfenstein. I played 12 games that came out in 2010, but two do not count as they were Xbox Live arcade re-releases from the 1990s.

There are a couple of games from 2010 that I hope to play still. I know that it is just a matter of time before I play Fallout: New Vegas. First price drop or sale on the game and I will be getting it for sure. I am also hoping at some point to borrow Medal of Honor and Red Dead Redemption from my brother. Of course playing 2010 games in 2011, will probably make for a short list again a year from now. So in the typical descending order here are my top five video games for 2010.

5. Deadliest Warrior

Photobucket
I love the concept of the show Deadliest Warrior, and despite having a little to much testosterone overflow, I like the show. Despite being terrible at them, I like fighting games so over the summer when this game was released I downloaded it instantly. This is a rather unique fighting game, in that blocking is more important than combos. A well timed spear throw can instantly end the game as well. The game was a little bare bones in what if offered but I had a decent amount of fun with it.

4. Pinball FX2
Photobucket
The original Pinball FX is one of my most played games. I think listening to a podcast while playing Pinball is a great way to spend an evening. Pinball FX2 added four new tables, plus the ability to play all the tables from the original game with the new interface and with new achievements. I am particularly enjoying the Marvel Superhero tables they released.

3. Halo: Reach
Photobucket
I like Halo, and I am all in as a fan. I have played all of the games, read all of the books, and I have the DVD. Halo is always good, but as Halo: ODST showed last year, Halo is best when Master Chief is not present. Reach offers an incredible single player experience, and makes strong improvements on an already strong multiplayer. I feel kind of bad for Halo: Reach, because while I really enjoy its multiplayer I like Call of Duty Black Ops better, and I really only have time to play one.

2. Call of Duty: Black Ops
Photobucket
Every year since the xbox 360 was released there has been a new Call of Duty. In my opinion this is the best one by far. It delivers the best single player story of probably any first person shooter I have played. The real draw to this game is the online multiplayer. The balance in this game is much better than it was in Modern Warfare 2. I have long said that Treyarch(the developer of this game) is better at making multiplayer maps than Infinity Ward (the other call of duty developer) and this game continues to prove that. I have not reached the level cap yet, so there is a lot more Black Ops in my future.

1. Mass Effect 2
Photobucket
I am fairly sure at some other point I wrote that Mass Effect is the best video game I have ever played. Objectively this is a better game as it makes several tweaks and improvements over the original. However, since I have already played the original it did not have quite the same "wow" factor. That being said Mass Effect 2 was still a splendid game. The loyalty missions were great, as was the real threat of people dying. I played this game in the Fall, and like a good book once I started I just could not put the game down. Mass Effect is a trilogy, so I am really looking forward to the third game.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home