Saturday, February 11, 2006

A little bit of pressure

Tuesday of this week marked the official 6 month point of my job here at Epworth. I must say that after six months things are going really well. The youth group has grown in attendance and gotten stronger. At the six month mark, I had the youth feel out a report card on everything and they gave me an average of an A. In general there is just a lot of excitement around the youth ministry right now. The diaconal minister told me that the congreation isvery supportive of the youth right now because "they see it working." Another person told me that the youth group has not been this strong and had such a good vibe about it for at least 12 years, another person made the same statement, only increased the time span to 20 years!
So that is all good, but it scares the crap out of me! It sounds like a lot of people have a lot of high hopes building up, and it feels like a lot of that is riding on me. The problem is that I know just how painfully human I am, which means soon or later I am going to fail. I would say at least once a week I start to worry about this, but then I realize there is no need to worry, because it is not about me but about Him. Then I remember the lyrics to one one of Abigail's favorite Casting Crown songs:
Cause when I'm weak, You make me strong
When I'm blind you shine Your light on me
'Cause I'll never get by living on my own ability
How refreshing to know You don't need me
How amazing to find that you want me
So I'll stand on Your Truth, and I'll fight with Your Strength
Untill You bring the victory, by the power of Christ in me


If I rely on my own understanding in doing this youth ministry thing, then I will surly fail, and fail hard, but if I rely on God then I know I have nothing to worry about, because even when I do fall, He will be there to help pick me right back up.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home