Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Video Games I am looking forward to in 2010.

For the past several years, I have posted the top 10 video games I am looking forward to getting that year. That will not happen this year, because there is no way I am getting that many games (for the past five years I have averaged between 12-15 games a year). I am not getting that many games for a few reasons. First, I do not play video games as much as I use to. Since working at Avon, my video game playing has decreased because working full time has been more time demanding than working part time and going to seminary. Since, Connor has come I play even less. Also, in the past year the amount of board games Abigail and I play together has greatly increased. If I have the option between shooting random strangers or playing a game with the woman I love, I will choose the second option more often than not (sometimes the zombies just need to get shot though).
Second, video games are expensive, and diapers are more important than $60 discs.

Finally, I don't need that many new games. I technically have enough. However, one of the reasons for getting new games is because I enjoy the new experiences, and I like to play online shooters and the crowd moves from game to game with those. It is more fun to play with the masses than the hardcore remnant of any given online game.

So the plan we have this year, is we are budgeting to get five games. So here are the games I am planning on getting:

1. Halo: Reach
I have gotten every other Halo at this point, so why not? The squad based concept of Halo seems like a good one. Halo games have always been innovative, and I look forward to the new features this one is going to bring.

2. Ghost Recon: Future Warrior
I really like the Ghost Recon Advance Warfighter 2. It is a game with long legs, as my brother and I will still go back to it from time to time and it is going on three years old. This is the next iteration of the series, and it is going a little bit more science fiction. When the first GRAW came out it was kind of on the cutting edge of the co-op craze, so now that co-op is fully established in games, I am curious how they might improve upon it. Both this and Halo: Reach come out towards the end of 2010, so they will probably be the shooting games I play for the better part of 2011.

3. Mass Effect 2
Mass Effect is one of my absolute favorite games. I consider the original to be the best example of story telling pretty much ever. So the sequel is a no-brainer. This game is already out, but I am waiting to get it because it is single player only. The experience is not going anywhere, so I can wait for the price to drop.

4. Blood Bowl

I already got this game, as it came out last week. Blood Bowl is a digital version of one the most popular miniatures board games of all time. Blood Bowl is a fantasy sport that is a little rugby like. The game has a steep learning curve, but after several practice matches and reading beginner strategy guides for the board game, I am getting the hang of it. This is a game that, if I choose to keep at it, could play for several years.

Those four are easy picks, and in my mind must gets. For the fifth game though, there are several contenders, and I am not sure what to go with. Here is what I am considering:

1. Medal of Honor
: I have always been a big fan of the Medal of Honor series. The past couple of entries (European Assault and Airborne) were vastly under-rated. Medal of Honor has developed the best FPS cover system. This game takes the series out of WWII and puts in modern day. I am a little worried, that the game is going to try to copy Modern Warfare 2 a bit to much, so I am waiting for more previews/reviews.

2. Dead Rising 2 : I loved the concept of the original Dead Rising, but the save system and structure of the game annoyed the crap out of me. When I found out the game was possible to make it to the end and not even beat it, I gave up. Dead Rising is all about killing zombies, so if they can fix the save system and make the game's progression a bit more standard, then this might be a must get as well.

3. Dead Space 2
: Dead Space was a bit of a surprise hit for me. It was survival horror game, that actually provided the player with the ability to move and shoot well. It also had a neat plot and universe setting. Dead Space 2 promises to be more action oriented, and have online multiplayer. Exactly what the multiplayer is, will really depend on how much interest I have in getting this when it comes out.
4. R.U.S.E. : This is a non-traditional RTS set in WWII. Unlike other Real time strategy games that are all about building a base and attacking with a horde of units, R.U.S.E is more about controlling the battle from a less micromanaging scale. I have been watching all of the videos they have made available, and the game gives me a vibe of a real time board game. I am very interested in it, and this is another game I am following closely.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home