Thursday, January 06, 2011

Top 10 Memories of 2010

This is the final best of 2010 list, and it is always one of my favorite posts to make. 2010 was probably one of the most unique years of my life. I simultaneously feel like I did a ton, and that I did very little. This is of course, all because of Connor. This was the first year of having him around, and there were a lot of adjustments, and lessons to learn. As the lists will hopefully show, it was a good year :)

10. Iggy Baby Shower
Photobucket
When Connor was three weeks old, I began to phase back into work at the church. One of the groups I work with are the 5th and 6th graders and the group is called Iggy. Several of the girls in that group took it upon themselves to throw a baby shower for Connor. It was a very kind thing to do.

9. Sr. High Retreat/Jr. High Retreat (tie)
I am always a fan of retreats, so we will have to call this one a tie. Honestly, the Sr. High retreat feels like forever ago (it was in March). Most of my memories from that retreat are not related to the theme, but to the fun stuff that happened. We played a really great game of Capture the Flag, and had a rather incredible Euchre Tournament. The Jr. High retreat was memorable because it was great group of kids. Plus at the end just about all of them made the decision to be more serious about following Christ.

8. Church Softball Tournament
In the Fall, I worked to help get Avon UMC in a church softball tournament. We got absolutely destroyed the first game. In the second game, we were competitive but still lost. Even though we were the first team out, it was a lot of fun playing. This was my first time to play on an organized sports team since 2004. I am really hoping that playing in the tournament in October will be a stepping stone to having a full team this summer.

7. Going to Bub's
Photobucket
Even though it was completely irrational, wasteful, and unhealthy one of my life goals was to get my picture on a wall for eating something. This year, I did it by eating the one pound burger (that is the weight AFTER cooking). My strategy was to eat it as fast as possible, and that is exactly what I did. I went with a couple of youth and one of them got a quarter pound burger. I had consumed the whole pound before she had ate half of the smaller burger.

6. Christmas 2010
Photobucket
This Christmas was fun because of Connor. However, what really made this Christmas memorable is that my sister Kristen and her husband Matthew came over from England. This is the first time everyone was together since Connor was born, and it was the first time to spend Christmas with my entire family since 2007.

5. Sr. High Mission Trip

Photobucket
It seems every year that the Sr. High mission trip makes it on here. So next year, expect to see the 2011 trip to Alabama listed. This year's trip was good for a couple of reasons. First, the facility we stayed at, Camp Kingswood, was awesome. For anyone looking for a mission trip I highly recommend them. Second this trip was good because it was the first time I was on my own. I am not the most handy person in the world, so I have always tended to make sure there was another adult with me on site. That way I could be the cheerleader/quality control person and the other adult could be the foreman/expert. As it worked this time, I was the sole adult with six juniors and seniors. We figured it out, and built the deck/big step thing you see in the picture.

4. Connor's first birthday party
Photobucket
Connor's first birthday was good for all the reasons one might expect. It was good to have so many people who cared for him in on place. It was fun to watch him eat cake and open gifts. It was also meaningful to celebrate one year of him being around. Along with his birthday party, I have to include his ACTUAL birthday four days later. We went to the children museum and had a lot of fun. Connor absolutely loved it.
Photobucket

3. Abigail's 30th Birthday
Photobucket
For Abigail's birthday we went to the West Baden Hotel. The location was very beautiful and the weekend was very romantic. It was nice to know that even though we are parents, we can still just be a couple too.

2. Family Vacation to Cincinnati
Photobucket
It was fun going on vacation as a family. I think we planned this one perfectly. The pace we went at was exactly right. We really enjoyed going to the aquarium, biggest grocery store in the world, a baseball game, and the creation museum.

1. Gen Con with Abigail
Photobucket
The picture is the closest thing I have to a picture of us at Gen Con. This is a game we played together. For me Gen Con is one of the true highlights of the year. It is pretty much a four day celebration of everything I find fun. The best part about Gen Con this year is that Abigail went with me. We had a lot of fun there playing some of our favorite games like Race for the Galaxy and Memoir '44. There are 365 days in a year and in 2010 this day was the single most fun day I had.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home