Sunday, October 24, 2004

Finish Him!

When I was growing up, my all time favorite types of games were fighting games. I think that I probably rented just about every fighting game that existed for the super nintendo. In the mid-ninties you belonged to one of two camps. You either thought that Mortal Kombat was the best or that Street Fighter 2 was the best. I believed that Mortal Kombat was the best! I played the original a lot, and I would say that it was the first game that I mastered (on the Sega CD no less!) I really didn't play MK2 that much b/c the bowling alleys I got dragged to didn't have it, and the arcade we went to a few times a year had an X-men game I invested all of my time into when the second one was out. However, when Mortal Kombat 3 came out I was all about that game, and it was the first video game I bought ( I saved and got it the week it came out for the super nintendo). It is also the only game I have ever bought a strategy guide for. Thus, when Best Buy put Midway Arcade Treasures 2 on sale this past week, featuring Mortal Kombat 3. I remember a few special moves and combos but my problem is I really learned them on the SNES so while, I can tell you that Kabal's running attack is <-- <-- --> A or that is energy blast is ---> ---> Y I have very little idea what that translates to on the PS2 pad. Thus I have been getting my butt handed to me over and over again, but it'll all come back to me (though I don't think I'll ever stand a chance of beating Rusty).

Along the same lines, while at Best Buy I got to sample the New Mortal Kombat, which is called Deception. From what I played the game is incredibly awesome. It has been a really long time since while playing a game I have spontaneously yelled "Holy crap that rocks!" and that might be the first time I yelled it while in a public place surrounded by strangers, but I couldn't help it. Without realizing it, I hit my opponent into a week wall to take kill him which autmatically caused him to fall several dozen stories and explode! With all of the Ninjas and gratitous violence, how can one not like Mortal Kombat?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home