Wednesday, March 23, 2005

Computer Trouble Part II

. . . so I thought my computer was healed but it wasn't. There was still some nasty spyware on it. I thought that I could handle it. Especially when I found out that Field's computer service just used Macafee virus scan to get the job done. So I d/l AntiVir, and it worked. . .a bit to well. It made it so that explorer (the program that loads the desktop and start bar) didn't auto-start. I decided to call the computer repair store again and tell him I was still having problems, and there was still spyware on the computer. He told me to take it in and he would finish the job he started.. Four hours later it was finished. He had to manually remove a program that nothing could detect (even the computer when you ran a search). My computer also had a program on it that no one had ever heard of before (a google search did not reveal it). The biggest problem is somehow Explorer has been compromised and modifiied, which is why AntiVir recgonized it as a virus. Three hours later, it was determined my computer is officially as clean as it can get. And I have two choices 1) Keep running the corrupt version of explorer (which works just fine) and see what happens or 2) whipe the system and start over. Abgail and I are going with option 1 and hoping for the best. Computer experts, your advice is always appreciated.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home