Thursday, April 13, 2006

Touching is Good

Image hosting by Photobucket
When the Nintendo DS was first released last year I scoffed at as a very expensive gimick. However, as new games were developed I became more and more interested. DS games were really pushing the envelope of inovation and creating brand new ways to play games. A good example of one of these inovative games is Kirby's Canvas Curse, where the entire game is played by drawing rainbows for Kirby to ride on. It sounds silly, but is suppose to be incredible fun
Image hosting by Photobucket
There also inovative simulation games like Ace Wright and Trauma Center. Ace Wright has the player actually shout objection when they object and Trauma center has the player use the stylus to sew stiches.
Image hosting by Photobucket
Image hosting by Photobucket

To top all of that off this game came out:
Image hosting by Photobucket
an online Mario Kart was a dream come true for me!

However, what really made me want a Nintendo DS is how much potential it has. For example, this evening I was at McDonalds and after finishing my fries, played Mario Kart online against some kid in Japan. Seriously how freaking cool is that? Online gaming in freaking McDonalds. That is just the tip of the iceburg. A version of the Opera web browswer is coming out on the DS, so I can surf the web at any wi-fi hot spots without a PC. Also, a TV tuner is being released in Japan next month. To top all of that off, their is a SD card adapter that makes it so that the DS can play movies, display E-books, or function as an Ipod. It is a really impressive little machine!

I had decided in December that I really wanted one, but I figured there was no way that Abigail would ever go for spending over $100 on another game system. However, her resistence started to crumble. I told her about the web browser and that peaked her curosity. Then when I shared with her that a new version of Tetris was coming out for it, with a bunch of new modes, and it was playable online she genuinly became interested. I jokingly told her I could probably get a DS off of Ebay for $100 or less, and to my surprise she genuinly said go for it!! An hour later, I won an auction (it was my fourth attempt).

It was after winning, the impossible happened. Abigail bought a video game of her own free will! Seriously, the next day we went to Target and they had this game on sale:
Image hosting by Photobucket

Apperently it was a good buy for her because she has spent the past hour and a half playing it. I can tell that the DS is going to be something we fight over who gets to use it, and it is probably safe to say that Nintendo has coverted both of us to DS fans.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home