Wednesday, February 25, 2009

My Future Reading List

Coming up next week I have a meeting that is a REALLY big deal. This meeting will also involve a lot of waiting time. So in preparation for this event I got a new book to read. I realized while looking around the book store, that I have mentally piled up a good sized list of books I want to read. Now none of these books will be found on that BBC list that is making the blog/facebook rounds, but that does not matter much to me. I am pretty much ok with the fact that my literary taste effectively to pop corn movies. What follows is all of the books that I hope to read this year, with a bit about why.

A Song of Ice and Fire
The book I got this week is A Game of Thrones by George R.R. Martin. It is book one out of four and book one on its own is just over 800 pages, so this whole high fantasy saga might take a good while to get through.

Halo: The Cole Protocol
At this point I have read five Halo books and thus far played three games (with the fourth one a week away). I don't know a whole lot about this book, but I really like the Halo universe.

Mass Effect: Accession
As far as stories go across all medias, Mass Effect is one my absolute favorites. I read the first Mass Effect book, and I am looking forward to reading the second.


Star wars: Darth Bane-Rule of Two

This is the first of three Star Wars books on the list. This book is about Darth Bane, the sith lord who established the rule of two. This is the type of Star Wars book written for the most hardcore of star wars fans.

Star Wars: Coruscant Nights III-Patterns of the Force
I have read the first two Coruscant Nights books, and I liked them a lot. This series is suppose to be a Noir infused Star Wars story. The mystery aspect thus far has been a bit week, but I really like these books because how they fit into the Star Wars universe. These stories have utilized minor characters from the movies and secondary characters from other books. If you are looking for a series of good Star Wars books, then I recommend this one (but not as much as the next one).

Star Wars: Order 66
Order 66 is the final book to the Republic Commando "series". This is a series in that the characters are the same and the character development continues from book to book, but they some what stand aloneish. In my opinion, the Republic Commando books are some of the best Star Wars books ever. They are especially awesome as they give a Clones perspective of the Clone Wars. I have been waiting for the paperback copy to come out, and it does so in May.

The Rising
As I mentioned before, Left 4 Dead has put me on a bit of a Zombie kick, and my wasting time on Amazon has revealed this to be one of the better Zombies books. It does appear that the zombies in this book are the Marvel Zombies style (maintain some sort of intelligence)as opposed to the Romero-eque shamblers or the Left 4 Dead/28 Days later infected, so that is a bit of a setback.

Ender's Game
I know that this is a Sci-Fi classic, and it is one that I need to read.

After the Downfall
A couple of years ago I read the Sci-fi/historical fiction Guns of the South. It was a little slow, but I liked it well enough to Give Harry Turtledove a second chance. After the Downfall is about a Nazi Officer who finds himself fighting in a fantasy world. I am very intrigued by the concept.

Pride and Prejudice and Zombies
Seriously. I want to read it.

2 Comments:

Blogger Stephen said...

Move Ender's Game to the top of your list, and consider adding Old Man's War (it's a fast read).

As for Song of Ice and Fire, wait and see if/when the author makes progress on it. A publication schedule of once-per-five-years is an exercise in frustration, particularly when books being split in half for publication makes it more like once-per-decade.

7:57 AM  
Blogger Stephen said...

Note: above is me. Bad inability to change aliases, bad!

7:59 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home