Friday, February 18, 2005

I have an idea. . .

Yes, I realize that the majority (and it is already a small sample) have no care on this, but I'll post asking for opinions anyway. I had the idea of this summer running an RPG as an outreach and as a way to continue building relationships with students. Now, I know many would think this playing a game like D&D is a bad idea, and I would agree ("what do you mean I can't play a chaotic evil Drow Cleric?") However, my idea was to do an RPG based on the Chronicles of Narnia. Narnia is a perfect setting for an RPG, and the presence of Aslan can keep the game Christ focused. I know that there are at least 3-5 active youth group members who would be into this sort of thing, and there are another 6-8 "fringe" people who come on Fridays and/or Lock-in type events who would like to play. I guess the problem comes in that doing this is going to take a lot of work to put together. All of the nuts and bolts RPG rules for a Narnia game would have to be created, like what kind of racial bonus does a beaver get. (this is assuming that I would just make it a D20 resource and use the base D&D rules, I could make my own game as well). There is also the consideration that a lot of church folk have a bad conotation of the phrase "role playing game" (if they are even familiar with the phrase). I am just at the tail end of a big controversy over Halo, so I don't know if doing something like this would go over well (though if somoene thinks it is a bad idea for teenagers to purposefully expose themselves to tales told in Narnia with overt and direct Christian themes then they are daft). So, like I said most of you probably don't know enough/care enough to have an opinion but I'll ask anyway. Do you think this is an idea worth pursuing or not?

2 Comments:

Blogger ButlerBowldog said...

I think that you should probably float the idea amongst the youth to make sure that there is enough people to even run a game. If there is interest, the next step may be getting an ok from the minister or parents or whoever...that way you won't be accused of just starting something without a consult or approval. You know my personal feelings on RPG, but if you get kids interested and get them coming to church/youth events, then it is a good thing. Make it hap'n, Cap'n!

6:06 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like the idea of using something unusual to attract the kids...but I would suggest running it by the higher-ups first and then the youth. (No sense in getting them excited if it gets vetoed by the pastor and SPC.) From personal experience, i.e. being read the riot act for showing Harry Potter, running it by them first can make things run a lot smoother. That gives you a chance to explain it in-depth and show how much of a unique outreach it could be and doesn't make them feel like you were doing something behind their backs. I'll be praying for you, Sean.

Amanda

6:22 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home