Thursday, February 14, 2008

Truly humbling

So along with downloading the previously mentioned New Soul, I got several other songs recently with an itunes gift card (thanks Kristen!) So overall I picked up the following music:
1. Give me one Reason by Tracy Chapman
2. Bulls on Parade by Rage Against the Machine
3. Pride and Joy by Stevie Ray Vaughan
4. Team Fortress 2 theme
5. Why Does it Always Rain on Me by Travis
6. Fly by Sugar Ray
7. Meet Virgina by Train
8. La Grange by ZZ Top
9. You Alone by David Crowder Band
10. Blessed Assurance by Third Day
10. When You Were Young by the Killers
11. Woman by Wolfmother

Now the fact that someone can purchase an insanely crazy variety of music in a few minutes, is not what is humbling. What is humbling is the final song I bought:
I Surrender All. The version I downloaded is by a band I like called Cademon's Call . I know this is an old school hymn, but the lyrics are truly amazing:

All to Jesus, I surrender;
All to Him I freely give;
I will ever love and trust Him,
In His presence daily live.

Refrain

I surrender all, I surrender all,
All to Thee, my blessèd Savior,
I surrender all.

All to Jesus I surrender;
Humbly at His feet I bow,
Worldly pleasures all forsaken;
Take me, Jesus, take me now.

Refrain

All to Jesus, I surrender;
Make me, Savior, wholly Thine;
Let me feel the Holy Spirit,
Truly know that Thou art mine.

Refrain

All to Jesus, I surrender;
Lord, I give myself to Thee;
Fill me with Thy love and power;
Let Thy blessing fall on me.

Refrain

All to Jesus I surrender;
Now I feel the sacred flame.
O the joy of full salvation!
Glory, glory, to His Name!


Those words are truly powerful, and what is so humbling is the realization that, at least for me, most of the time when I sing this song I am lying. All is a lot. I mean a whole lot. It does not get much bigger than all. The beauty for me, is that this song is not a declaration but a prayer. More to the point, when I sing this song, it is a petition, it is a statement not of what is real but of what I want to be, and what I am unable to achieve on my own.

1 Comments:

Blogger ButlerBowldog said...

Hmmm...methinks Guitar Hero may have been your inspiration for several of these. Also, Blessed Assurance by Third Day is really awesome.

9:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home