Friday, February 29, 2008

A Top 5

This morning I finished up and sent out the Youth Group newsletter (I am glad that the leap year gave me an extra day!). Anyway, in the newsletter I mentioned that a specific Bible verse was in my "top five", which led me to thinking what are my top five Bible verses, and so that is what follows. This list is not comprensive, and it is limited to just single verses (or else the entirety of Romans, John, 1 John, Revelation, and Proverbs would probably be here-heh, I guess I also just informally included my top five books of the Bible). Since it is a list it in descending ranked order:

5: Do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God's will is—his good, pleasing and perfect will. Romans 12:2

I think Abigail would say that because of the do not conform part, this is the verse I try to base my my life on ;)

4: In the same way, let your light shine before men, that they may see your good deeds and praise your Father in heaven. Matthew 5:16

I am not sure why I like this verse. I think, perhaps I like it because it is a good reminder about why, as a follower of Jesus, I should live a little differently.

3:Test everything. Hold on to the good. 1 Thessalonians 5:21

This is a verse that I have really taken to heart. I naturally ask questions and wonder endlessly about life, the universe, and everything. In short, I test everything, and in prayer try to hold on to the good.

2: Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see. Hebrews 11:1

Best definition of faith ever.

1: My dear children, I write this to you so that you will not sin. But if anybody does sin, we have one who speaks to the Father in our defense—Jesus Christ, the Righteous One. 1 John 2:1

I have a feeling that for 1 John 2:1 does not register as a favorite scripture for most people. However, it is hands down mine. The reason for this is because I at one time did not understand Jesus. I didn't understand why Jesus had to exist, why their had to be a resurrection, and in general what the big deal was. It was this verse that made everything click for me, and I still find the image presented in the epistle to be truly powerful.


So those are my favorites, what are yours?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home