Wednesday, December 08, 2004

A sad end to a long streak . . .

The referenced streak is 23 years without attending one funeral. This sadly ended today, because my grandfather passed away on Saturday. He lived to 87 and his life is really a legacy to be proud of. He helpd more people in more ways than could probably ever be recounted. He didn't do it for glory or because of his posistion, but because it was the right thing to do. The sadest and most heart ripping part was watching my grandmother because they had been married for over 65 years. The pain she must feel is unfathomable after loosing her best friend that she literally spent a lifetime with. However, It is hard to be sad, because he was a dedicated Christian. At the funeral the hymn in the garden was sung and as the words were sung it was impossible for me not to picture him (not as an old man but as he was in the prime of his lfe) with Jesus as the song describes:


I come to the garden alone, While the dew is still on the roses; And the voice I hear, falling on my ear, The Son of God discloses.

Chorus: And He walks with me and He talks with me And He tells me I am His own And the joy we share as we tarry there, None other has ever known.

He speaks and the sound of His voice Is so sweet the birds stop their singing. And the melody that He gave to me Within my heart is ringing.
(Chorus)

I'd stay in the garden with Him Though the night around me is falling. But He bids me go; through the voice of woe, His voice to me is calling.
(Chorus)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home